Web Site Advantages to Small Business
I have had many small business owners tell me:
“I have a small business and a lot of customers, I do not feel like we need a web page”
“We are listed in the yellow pages, my customers can find me there”
So what is the advantage of the small business having a web site?
- A few web pages can provide a wealth of information you would never be able to put into your yellow pages ad.
- Your web pages can be changed reguarally,Â yellow pages only once a year.
- Your customers can actally see some of the products and services you offer.
- Your customers can easily find your phone number, hours of operation and an interactive map to your location.
- Your customers can contact you via email 24 hours a day.
- Many new cell phones and gps devices are internet active.Â A visitor traveling though your townÂ can now find you easily find you.
A towing company:Â All that is needed is one simple page with the contact information and a phone number.Â If I were to break down while traveling my cell phone or gps can tell me who is closest and available and provide me with that towing companies phone number.
A bowling Alley: I can see the hours of operation, what services they provide (childerns parties, league information, food menus and specials).Â The bowling alley could even postÂ league and tournament results that participantsÂ canÂ access 24 hours a day.Â Even though I may have lived in the area for years this information is probably not in the yellow pages and I probably do not have it memorized.
A general contactor:Â I can easily see what contracting services they offer, the area that they work in.Â I can request information or a quote via email.
A manufacturing firm: I can see if they offer the products I am seeking.Â I can see pictures and examples of their product.Â In most case the manufacturer will have documents on their website so I can see engineering specifications.Â Existing customers have the benefit of finding the information they need immediately rather than waiting for the manufacturer to respond or have to mail or fax documents that are readily available on the website. Â I can also send an email requesting more information on a product.
Web sites for the small business are very cost effective.Â Here are actual examples from Webspacetoday for you to compare with other web providers.
- Basic Plan — You design and maintain your own website starts at $120.00 a year.
- Basic Maintenace Plan — We design and provide unlimited changes to your website for $125.00 initial cost and then $30.00 a month (no yearly fee)
- Extras — Shopping cart, blog, forum etc…Â A one time setup fee of $300.00
One of two new customers or sales will easily cover the yearly cost of your website.
In conclusionÂ a web site not only provides your customers with a source of information, it also provides your customers with sense or your businessesÂ legitmacy and a knowledge that you care enough to provide them with the information that they want when they want it.